Painting in progress- Winged Hussars and British Napoleonics

 Years and years ago ( yes, you've all done this) I bought a couple of boxes of figures and put them in a cupboard where they sat ( on the Lead Mountain) for over a decade. Then in a burst of painting inspiration I took them out a few weeks ago and thought...yes...now I want to paint them.

The figures were Warlord Games Polish Winged Hussars- for me not the easiest to paint and to be honest I'd always figured I might send them to a pro to get them done...but in a fit of impulsiveness i decided to give them a go.

It's funny how we spend all this money on stuff...just to put them away for 'later use'.

So as my GNW war collection is growing I have these based to fight my Ottomans for the Renaissance but the frontage can double up for the GNW.

The Napoleonic Brits were from Front Rank.

Why buy them?     I don't know, I just liked them.

Do I have any other British Napoleonic 28mm?     No.

Do I have any Napoleonic 28mm?     No

Do I intended building an army?    Not really.

Do i just want to spend money and paint them.? Well..yes. 

Why? ...well...I stupidly bought a book on Waterloo, and another one of the War of 1812......just had the urge. So they came out of the Lead Mountain.







































Painted, flocked and based. 
Ready for action










\

It is dangerous to buy books that inspire more figure painting........especially if you have absolutely no figures that relate to that period..or as in my case, a packet ( or 4) sitting on the Lead Mountain.....although I can thoroughly recommend both books!


Some awesome scenarios- that I can translate over to AWI or maybe I can start collecting for this period.......


The BEST book on Waterloo- essential - the detail is mind-boggling ..but out of print and costing a lot if you can get a copy. I have Mark Adkin's books on the Western Front, Gettysburg, the Charge of the Light Brigade- and can thoroughly recommend all of them. They are detailed packed and even if it's not your period of interest, a worth while read. If you are interested, you've got to have them!





Unfortunately....they make you become impulsive! 











So what do I do with these Napoleonic Brits? No idea. 

They will probably sit on the shelf along with all the other assorted 'out of collection' units that have no other units to go with.....until I see something on ebay....or a friend has something to sell.....or...or do I have some other units in the Lead Mountain that i have forgotten that could go with these ?????
I think I have a problem...........Lead Addiction.

14 comments:

  1. Your Poles look good! Sometimes it is fun to paint something simply because you like figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Yes, I have shelves full of figures that I painted just because I liked the figures. Then I painted more...and more..and more....

      Delete
  2. The winged hussars and the basing looks great, perhaps amongst the most iconic of all wargame units, so definitely worth painting up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm- agreed- my very first 28mm army was an old Hinchcliffe and Essex Renaissance Polish Army- which i sold...30 years ago. I guess I'm just replacing old figures!

      Delete
  3. Haha. You’re a goose. Napoleonics in 28mm is a sure path to the loony bin. And in the volumes that you paint if you slip into Napoloenics you’ll need a new annex.

    Very very nice work on the Poles. They look great based up. And I agree on the Adkin book - great book for those wanting to wargame Waterloo ......

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goose? You're holding back Richard.....I've already got one foot in the looney bin!

      Delete
  4. No problem John - keep that painting going mate and keep everything! You know the minute you get rid of them they will be needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Carlo- you're dead right- I should just hold onto them - regardless if I ever need them- they look nice!

      Delete
  5. Great looking dudes. 10 years in storage should have them properly aged now and adjusted to the environment. Finally ready to come out. 😀
    Though I really don’t get miniatures just for the sake of them. I agonize over years before I start a new genre and then over buy the miniatures. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. I never thought of that- storage has made them keen to get out and fight. You've got more self discipline than me if you don't get miniatures just for the sake. I don't agonize ..I just jump right in....and hence this post.

      Delete
  6. Everyone should have a Polish Renaissance Army at least once in their wargaming life!

    ReplyDelete