THE ARMIES OF LOUIS XIV...books..not the figures.

 Many...many..many years ago I had been inspired by the articles by Mark Allen in Wargames Illustrated and by the "Armies of Louis XIV' by Osprey  and these were about the only two sources of information that I had for the Armies of the Sun King ( as well as the Funcken and Funcken books at the Uni library!).  

As anyone who has spent more than 30 seconds on this Blog, Louis XIV's army is one of my biggest collections.  I love the uniforms, the characters, the history and the great figures available (Front Rank being my favourite!).

So the purpose of this post? No purpose- I just wanted to take photos of my books, because I now have an over abundance of information and it's awesome!

Helion have published some fantastic books and I, being an addict, have been buying them.

One of my all time favourite Osprey MAA books. Much loved and much read.

All the books I have ...so far!!





I love this one- all the combined articles of Mark Allen's from Wargames Illustrated. My first inspiration for the Army of Louis XIV.

The Bruno Mugnai books- there are two more - Volumes 4 and 5 on the Spanish and Portuguese armies during Louis XIV's reign. I believe Volumes 6 and 7 are on the way as well covering the Italian States and the German states. All on my wish list!

The Rene Chartrand books - four volumes!

Now this could be seen as overkill.
Clearly anyone who thinks that is not a true wargamer!
I recommend them all! And the boys below agree!








20 comments:

  1. You have fine collections of both figures and books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful figures John. I do admire this beautiful collection of yours and would love to see more of it on your superb blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a wonderful collection that is an absolute joy to play with - even when not winning :)

    I also love the Helion books John. It has been a golden few years for this period and earlier through Helion.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. Helion have reinvigorated my passion for the period!

      Delete
  4. Totally agree, its a great period to paint and game and the influx of books on the period over the last few years just confirms that fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray- yes the books have made it easier to research and play.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful figures and books a plenty - a wargamer's happy place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Swiss regiment, beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- Regt Shellenberg in pre 1689 uniform. One of my favourites!

      Delete
  7. That is a considerable number of books on the same subject!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and my book shelf is groaning under the weight!

      Delete
  8. The signs of a chronic wargames addict !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bruno also has one on the Cretan war (1645-1671) that has a chapter on French involvement. Highly recommended as it looks at the forces involved. Recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have to confess- I have that one too!

      Delete
  10. Great references; I do like the period uniforms, but so many buttons to paint! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The uniforms are very nice...and the rows and rows of buttons do pose a problem!

      Delete