Renaissance Clash: Spanish vs Maximilian's Imperials!

 Ross and I played a game from the late Middle Ages/ Early Renaissance a little while ago.  I took all these photos at the start....then forgot to take more as the game progressed. It was Spanish vs Maximilian Imperialist. One of those games where I totally forgot to take the pics because it was such a close fought engrossing engagement.....so for posterity...I'll put them on the blog and in years to come kick myself for forgetting to take more pics!

The Spanish- left flank anchored on wood- lots of pike, some supporting shooters and a bit of cavalry.

Maximilian's boys- not quite as much pike- less shooters...but a bit more heavy metal- The Knights!





Ross' Landsknechts and 'forlorn hope' of sword and buckler men in front. Skirmishers with arquebus on the flank.


The Knights!!

Mounted crossbows!

More Knights- on the Imperial right flank.

We spent time taking photos during the game...then got so engrossed, forgot to take more. The Imperial right flank. The Spanish were heavily outnumbered in only one troop type- the heavy knights.

My arquebusiers in the woods.


My left ( Spanish) flank.

My centre!!- LOTS of Pike!

So what the hell happened? 
Well it was a bloody one- The Maximilian Knights beat up my Gente d'armas ( my knights) and the pike blocks slaughtered one another...but Maximilian's boys took the honours eventually as his more numerous knights hit me from left and right.


18 comments:

  1. A pleasure just to browse your armies :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm- yes I decided to post it - despite the lack of detail for teh battle as I just want to look at the pictures during a meeting at work!

      Delete
  2. But what photos there are look pretty special. Lovelyu work on the heavy cavalry and the landsnechts. Love the Impetus basing :)
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rich- yeah yeah....i get it ..you like Impetus!!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful period to game. Your armies look fab. I see a mix of manufacturers among the hordes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JF- yes it's one of our regular ones! I've lost track of the manufacturers- TAG, Foundry, Artizan and who know what else.

      Delete
  4. That looks like it made a great game John, those new TAG early reiters look fantastic, I havent seen them painted up before and those look superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Oli- I gotta confess- TAG are amongst my favourite - my Polish army is nearly all TAG..and so are my upcoming Muscovites !

      Delete
  5. Very good looking game and figures JD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well the pics you did take look pretty good. Nice miniatures and table.
    We've all done it. At least I've done it; been so busy playing and having fun to stop and take enough pics for blogs. Not really a bad thing. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew- it's priorities...the game comes first...and hopefully I remember to take pics!

      Delete
  7. Great looking game, a period I've always admired but never collected

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil- it's one we have only really been getting into recently- and by 'recently' i mean the last 6 years! ( showing our age now!)

      Delete
  8. Lovely heavy cavalry in action. I always find this period very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- I have to agree with you- a lot of interesting troop types, fascinating battles- and that Super Heavy Cavalry!

      Delete