Ottomans and Teutonic Knights!

 

Sticking with my late medieval/ early Renaissance themed battles-  another game one afternoon when both Ross and I were on holidays- and it was a bloodbath!! 

His late Teutonic Knights came out of hiding to take on the Glorious Might of the Sultan and his Janissaries! 

The Ottoman army had Janissaries, finesse, style, colour, dash, archery, Janissaries and a nice big bombard.  Oh...and did I forget to mention I had Janissaries?

The Teutonic Knights lacked all that. They just charged. That's all..hell for leather, heads down, get the flock out of the way because here we come, charge.  

My Ottomans- heavily weighted on the right with Cavalry.

The Teutons....as you can see, off into the distance, a long line of people who think that diplomacy, negotiation, tact and any other sort of interaction starts and ends with a charge.

The table - Turks on the left, 'Brothers' on the right.

Now they do look impressive....

Turkish center

Akinjis on the right wing- Qapiqulu just behind them.

Turkish light horse on the extreme left.

The Teutonic Turcopoles......light cavalry they might be...but they like to charge too

The Teutonic line - the right flank.

The Sipahis on the Turkish left advance..firing bows.


Getting ready...to receive that charge!!

On the Ottoman right, I got the jump on the Teutons- knocking his Turcopoles out of the way - here my asiatic Sipahis and Akinjis ride past his line .

Main cavalry lines- about to clash

Love this photo- our cavalry would smash into each other and in the middle of the picture his Knights would slam into my Janissaries and other heavy infantry sitting on the small hill.

Better view here...his charging mob slammed into my Janissaries....and ........and...?

Teutonic center





The knights about to hit my line...and would you believe it...i forgot to keep taking pictures...again...because my Janissaries held...yep....standing on that small hill they managed to hold on until the end of the game!!!! The heavy infantry on either side eventually succumbed but this small island of bow wielding blue coated Janissaries stood firm. 


Ross' main line hit me hard- yet on my extreme right I got around behind him..while my janissaries held him in the center. My bombard continued firing until the end. On my left he swept my units away but when we got to the morale phase for both armies due to the huge losses- they failed their tests.... bothe armies were too depleted to be able to claim victory so it ended in a very bloody draw!









8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Neil. I needed more photos of the closing stages.

      Delete
  2. I love to see an Ottoman army on the table John! Another great looking game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean to say that there are other tactics beyond charging? 😀😀
    Good looking game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stew....probably not...but these guys over do it!

      Delete