Greek War of Independence- What? Another new project??? WIP.

 Being 200 years since the beginning of the Greek War of Independence (GWI) I looked around for some suitable figures for a skirmish game. Ross said he was interested- in being the Greeks. So I naturally had to be the Turks - I think I have a few figures lying around somewhere, but clearly I need more!! Not a period many people would select, or even be familiar with but we thought it would interesting - considering both our families came from the region!

    We got online and bought a combination of Steve Barber models (SBM- they have a very large selection!).  Some Wargames Foundry (Crimean War) (WF) and some assorted Warfare Miniatures (WM- it's that bad man Barry Hilton again- my favourite Dealer of Product!). The orders were sent out.

All arrived forthwith. I have to admit, the service and turnaround of all three companies delivering from the UK to Aus is very good! ( and the postal services are great too!) And being in lockdown means we can paint pretty quick. Below are some of our starting units. Still a fair few to go!

Turkish Irregulars.


Now there's not a lot of information in terms of uniforms but a few articles from Miniature Wargames Magazine, and the figures themselves as well as a couple of online articles (in Greek!) meant we were able to put a couple of forces together that game a reasonable facsimile of the GWI.

Ross' Greeks are composed mainly of Irregulars with a couple of units of Regular Infantry and Cavalry  (he decided on the later regular infantry, dressed like Napoleonic Bavarians). All WF and SBM.

Mine are SBM, WM and WF and are a combination regulars and irregulars and I had a Turkish Crimean War artillery crew which I decided to use ...I know, I know...the uniforms were from 20 years later-  I won't say anything if you won't! 

We plan to use The Men Who Would be Kings and I drew up a couple of basic lists- see below. They're all armed with the same smooth bore muskets although we might add in complications like the long rifles - longer distance, slower shooting after a few games.

Ross' Greek Irregulars- (Foundry Crimean War Greeks)





Irregular cavalry.





My Turks

Cavalry Unit and artillery.

That artillery unit that no one is allowed to mention.



Turkish Irregulars- Steve Barber Models- need to be flocked.

Need to be flocked!

Turkish regulars ( SBM again)- I do think that the head dress is not really functional!!...oh and don't mention that they need to be flocked...I know. 








Turkish Irregulars- finally a flocked unit!!



16 comments:

  1. A nice start, we’ll more than a start to the project and some really novel figures 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt- yes they are unusual. I was surprised that there were figures out there.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an interesting project - I have to admit I know literally NOTHING about Greek military history after Alexander the Great etc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith- well after the Romans- it's Byzantines and then hundreds of years of Greeks vs Turks!! Well, that's probably a bit broad! But it's a steep learning curve at the moment!

      Delete
  3. Very colorful period! I know so little of this conflict, I look forward to learning about it through your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I'm slowly piecing information together! I'll learn too!

      Delete
  4. John you can't shoot up your ancestors. I am thinking of someone who would have a lot of fun playing a game with those.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard- yes i can...some of my ancestors may have been on the other side!!
      See you after lockdown is over!

      Delete
    2. Lookign forward to it mate.

      Richard

      Delete
  5. The armies look good , no surprise there , am looking forward to the games reports to see if the Greeks win their independence again .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr H- you will probably be in the game's report!

      Delete
  6. Nice to see someone else doing this period. It look like you are of to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad to hear that someone else is giving it a go. I will check out your blog!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. LOL- thanks Spyros-Ζήτω η Ελλάς η πατρίς και η θρησκεία Ζήτω η αθάνατη η 21.

      Delete