Normans and Anglo-Saxons

 


Looking back to a couple of posts a looonnngg time ago I noticed that Ross' Normans had beaten my Anglo-Saxons a couple of times and I had only had a single victory against his mounted thugs.

It was time for a rematch!


My side of the table- Sitting behind a low series of hills. His crossbowmen unable to get too many hits.

Just in front- some light cavalry skirmishing with my front line.
Some pesky Bretons throwing javelins.......




...and my few bowmen trading shots.

My men .....


My right flank- held by two units of huscarls....and yes..it's the end of the known universe to their right...so the right flank is secure. His bl**dy Bretons riding across the front of my line- forcing my one unit of useless slingers to fall back behind the main line.


Here they come...in the same old way......each one, as Ross says, 'Half a ton of psychopathic unwashed illiteracy'


And they're getting close.

Norman infantry.

Ross' army engulfing my right along the line.
All his Norman milites are impetuous...so once within range they just go.
They don't stop to ask for directions, not so much as a 'by your leave'.
They just go.....and here they come.


Yes...and his foot soldiers follow on..in support of the seriously bad attitude displayed by his hostile horsemen! 

In the center..they fighting over the low hills was bloody. I stayed behind them till he got close and then charged out to get his crossbows!

Both lines starting to fragment

My left.....his knights in the center of the picture has slammed into my huscarls on that hill and forced them back....they only just survived....as he came over that hill.

Bloody melee in the middle...and I managed to wipe out his crossbows!

The Normans on my left ..smelling blood and forcing me back....


In a really tough and close fought game, I sat on my backside and just held- Ross co-ordinated his attack across the table, but it cost him too many casualties...and my Anglo-Danes took the victory as he suffered too many casualties trying to drive me from my well defended position!

Ross' Normans :2
My Anglo-Danes: 2.

Hmmm...interesting....: Time to paint some Vikings!!



12 comments:

  1. A great looking and hard fought encounter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil- very hard fought and a real nail biter!

      Delete
  2. This is a great spectacle with battle lines drawn end to end. What rules are you using? Basing looks Impetvs-esque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JF- the rules are a home grown set that have bits and pieces taken from a number of sets over the years. And the basing ( among other bits) are from Impetus.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for all the pics. I like the big bases, which is the way that I am going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm- yes all my ancient, medieval, renaissance and early pike and shot armies are all now big single base units

      Delete
  4. Great report John - the Normans do seem to have a PR issue - I am not sure they were any more psychopathic, unwashed or illiterate than any other bunch of early medieval aristocracy, including the Anglo Saxons - they were just better organised and beat everyone else up! As for the Bretons.....WELL.....enough said.!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith- yes- but only my opponents' Normans get the bad press. Mine are doughty fighters on the battlefield, thorough gentleman and loved by all. Yes...we won't mention the Bretons again!

      Delete
  5. LOL love - "the Half a ton of psychopathic unwashed illiteracy" charge. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks GW-yes Ross' usual description of his Normans!!

    ReplyDelete