Germans, Romans and a double defeat.

Spyros has always been proud of his collections of 20th Century and 21st Century figures.
World War Two? You bet.
Korean War? Check
Arab Israeli Wars? Yes
Rhodesian Bush wars? Of course.
Cold War and British Army on the Rhine? Jawohl!
Falkland Islands- yes both sides.
Afghanistan? Iraq? Yes and yes.
Drug cartels, modern black ops? ...shhh...but yes.

So when he rang me to tell me that he was doing Germans I was a bit perplexed.
"I know," I said, "I painted your Bundeswehr for you in the flecktarn camo."
"Not them. Ancient Germans. Tribesmen."
"Seriously? Why?"
'To fight my Romans."
"You have Romans???"

So that led to this post.


The German commander encourages his tribesmen




Spyros was a bit short of cavalry so I threw in my Celts and Iberians to cover the gap


Close up of the horde!



Wall to wall troops.....and the Germans use their most subtle tactic.....charge.

Skirmishers advance

Romans waiting patiently

Germans getting closer....covering ground at the run

CONTACT!!


pushing, shoving, fighting.......


Cavalry hit the Auxilia

Fighting all along the line.


German cavalry punch a hole through the Roman line but are absorbed and destroyed.


German line begins to crumble......


A game that went as well as to be expected if German tribesmen crash into a solid line of Roman Imperial Legionaries. ...who arguably some of the toughest troops on an ancients wargame table.....or they at least should be!!!
The Germans pushed some back, damaged some, but failed to break the line....and suffered the consequences.

We had time to play a second game with a similar result. As Spyros is just getting the hang of Ancients gaming and realising that the Germans need some wooded terrain- and some space on the flanks to get around the Roman line.....who says ancient gaming isn't educational?  A fun afternoon gaming and learning about Ancient Germans vs Romans!

Spyros has a lot more pics on his blog: No Duff Game
https://noduffgamer.blogspot.com/2024/07/at-my-signal-unleash-hell-28mm-ancients.html


10 comments:

  1. Worthy of a movie scene.....just in time for Gladiator 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super collection of Ancients and an impressive game. I am often surprised to learn what new periods my gaming buddies have squirreled away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and agreed Jon. I enjoy watching a friend's project develop, but in this case I had very little idea!

      Delete
  3. A great looking game and collection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neill. Appreciate your looking in.

      Delete
  4. Lovely stuff John....I must say, Early Imperial Roman's are very tempting.....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith...yes I think wargamers are divided into two groups. Those who have an Early Imperial Roman Army...and those who are going to build one..(one day!)

      Delete