War of the Austrian Succession and The Seven Years War

 Hmm.....another post..... another project. Early this year Ross and I were pondering the possibilities of New Year resolutions- what to paint.  In the end, after long deliberations we settled on the Seven Years War. We had played games in the past using Honours of War and liked the very fast nature of them. So we sent a bulk order away to Crusader miniatures- Austrians for me and French for him. Now why no Prussians ? I hear you ask....well we just preferred these two armies- and they were opponents in the War of the Polish Succession and the War of the Austrian Succession. In the Austrian Succession the uniforms are similar to the SYW.  Below are our painting efforts so far and we will have to order the cuirassiers, dragoons, officers, artillery etc etc...but for now it's fun painting these guys.

Hungarian Infantry from the army of Maria Therese in front. German infantry behind.





With white coated uniforms I have tried a number of methods.

1) Sprayed them very dark gray (almost black) then used a triple shade with a mid-gray and then white.
( See the grenadiers below)

1) Sprayed them white, put a dark wash over them and then highlighted white.

3) Sprayed them a light grey then highlighted white. 

Not sure what I like best...but all are pretty fast.


Ross has the jump on me with 5 battalions of French done!




Hungarian Infantry from the army of Maria Therese in front. German infantry behind.





My four battalions so far

These I sprayed white then put a dark wash and then highlighted them ( dry-brushed)

Austrian Grenadiers on the blocks...a work in progress!



A long way to go- but enjoying the challenge.

I have a ridiculously large War of the Spanish Succession collection, a sizeable American War of Independence collection and now I am covering the middle of the century!! Who says you can have enough of any particular era? It's what a hobby is all about!




16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hey Rich- I think it shows the workings of disturbed minds!

      Delete
  2. So many wars, so little time John - I am with you, I have GNW WSS FIW and AWI - maybe SYW/WAS should be my next project too? Although I am quite tempted to go slightly earlier to the William and Mary/Monmouth type era.....! Blitzkrieg Germans at the mo, though....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Keith- nowhere near enough time...I forgot to add my GNW too. Go earlier....? hmm..not a bad idea. The Germans for Blitzkrieg I have- I did them years ago...gotta finish my Vikings!

      Delete
  3. They look great, John! A fine start to your new project. My SYW project is expanding into the WAS and likely into the WPS too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JF- there is a LOT of info - and so many good wargame books out there on this period.

      Delete
  4. Nice work John, they all look excellent. I'd be going for ease, paint white then ink in the shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray- i'm down to counting brush strokes at the moment....to see which is faster!

      Delete
  5. they look good and you are right in that you can't have enough of a period in history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely period and you have jumped in with both feet 👍 good progress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt- it's always so much better when someone is working on an opponent!

      Delete
  7. These look tremendous John. White is so tricky isn’t it? I’ve got two Elite Miniatures Saxon 1806 Musketeer battalions on the go and have had them on the desk for two years! At least you’re going forward mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlo- get started on those Saxons- you'll find that if you develop a technique you won't be able to stop. I hope to have 10-12 battalions done by the end of the year.

      Delete
  8. nice job so far. Good luck on finding a good method.
    Why anyone would have white uniforms in the first place is beyond me. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew- White Uniforms? Very difficult to keep clean ( and paint!)

      Delete