A game of 40k

I hope readers of this blog won't object to a 'sci-fi' post!
My son and his friends are very big GW 40K fans and they get together to play games as often as life permits! All in their 20s, it is kinda nice to hear all the yelling and screaming coming from my garage as they dish out pain with 'fleshborers', 'plasma guns' , 'powerfists' or any other such weaponry.
He recently had 5 of them over playing a mini-tournament in the garage over a full Saturday. It may not be my historical stuff, but it's gaming nevertheless and my terrain is getting used. I put a couple of pictures at the bottom. 

Before the day that he held the friendly tournament, my son ran me through the new 40K (10th Edition!!??) rules. I hadn't played in years and my old Tyranids were brought out to swarm, natter, twitch, screech and devour.

The mission was to recover the remains of some imperial communications beacons. ( Objectives)
In my case, as the Tyranids, we have no use for them- but we had to get them to stop him using them for calling reinforcements. He needed to plug into them to call in more of his Chaos Legion...whatever that is!



Our game. I was Tyranids and he was some sort of smelly putrid miasma producing, disease carrying mutated space marines......I think I heard the word 'Nurgle'.....but he could have just been clearing his throat.

My deployment and plan. The beacons and comms equipment was spaced across the middle of the table.





What I actually enjoyed was the fact that you download the APP and then build your force on it. Everything you needed is on your mobile - with all the stats, weapons, special abilities are there. Very convenient! 

My Hive Tyrant with gaunts in front.

His putrid ones 

First beacon- and my Genestealers were just about there. This one changed hands about 3 times.

Hive Tyrant grabs the second beacon.

A Carnifex eyeing off its lunch in the distance.

It ( he?...she????) breaks cover and advances.

For the life of me...I can't remember what this was...some sort of winged Nurgle Demon! It grabbed one of the objectives pretty quickly.

Genestealers.......getting another beacon.





Ugly....with a bad attitude.

Demon vs Carnifex. The Demon won...but took some damage.

Gaunts swarming his Plague Marines


Hitting on a 4+........

Fierce fighting around the last objective.

Very depleted...


My Hive Tyrant had got to one of the objectives- with 6 wounds.



I really enjoyed the game. Spending time playing any game with your son is always fun. Thanks Nick!
The game ended in a narrow victory for the miasmatic ones. The points system is predicated not just on capturing the objectives but you get points each turn that you hold them so getting their early helps - which i did, and holding on...but I didn't hold them long enough!


The Tables below were for the tournament played by my son and five of his friends.




The games are on!

 

6 comments:

  1. John, this is your blog so post what motivates you! A little Sci-Fi never hurt anyone. The figures and terrain all look first rate but that is secondary to getting in a game with your son. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JF- I appreciate the support- and agreed- it doesn't matter what I am playing, a game with my son is always worthwhile!!

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure what language I have just read - but great to see the boys enjoying themselves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rich- I have no idea either- but it made sense to him and i just had to roll dice!

      Delete
  3. Nice post John. Let's face it- any gaming is good gaming. And if the tables and terrain are being used- then it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete