Assyrians and Elamites...at it again!!

 After the last game, Ross went back to his army lists ...and decided to make some changes to his Assyrian army. He did away with the large number of the 'Line Infantry' and bumped up the number of archers. He took the maximum number of 'Archers of the Guard" and made sure that he had as much firepower as possible. Then he picked up the phone and hurled abuse down the line. Realising that  he had mistakenly called the local Chinese restaurant, he apologised and then called me. I then received the full brunt of his poor attitude and the challenge for a rematch.





Assyrian Deployment


The movements. Teal for the Elamites, blue for the other bastards.
Paul commanded the Elamite left.
1) was an initial skirmish between our light cavalry which the Elamites won. But then Ross' heavy Assyrian Chariots moved through the area forcing our LC back.In the center, both our lines exchanged multiple rounds of bow fire. I had the better class of archers, but his were 'heavy infantry' archers so in an attritional contest, he ground me down. 2) My heavy chariots ( only 1 of 2) slammed into his heavy infantry and forced him back but failed to break him. 3) and 4) My chariots eventually beat up his cavalry- it was the one part of the battlefield that I had success- as at 5) my light got around behind him and caused him grief.


My chariot forces on my right.

Getting ready to go

Elamite left and center.

All my line. Paul commanding the left.

Ross' line. His main cavalry on his left, his infantry in the middle, and his chariots on his right.

His cavalry covering his left- with the CinC...complete with impaled victims.
These Assyrians know how to party!! ....A scary lot.

Assyrian Heavies..most with bow.

The formidable Assyrian Chariots. Ross massed them on his right...and when they cam forward...well.....they hit me very hard.


The latter stages of the game- my left being totally flattened by his f*cking Chariots.

My chariots hitting his line..forcing it back but unable to break it...

My right as I mopped up his cavalry,....while in the center he outshot me..and on my left his chariots smashed my flank. My right flank was where most of my limited success took place.

The smashup on my left and the dwindling line in my center

Assyrian Chariots making a mess of my flank.

Going down......fighting.





In the end, a comprehensive Assyrian victory! 
I am going to have to reconsider my deployment......and my use of terrain!
Elamites :1--Assyrians:1









14 comments:

  1. Great looking game and set up for decider

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- early in the new year....the Decider!! ( Then we're going to play a campaign with these armies!!)

      Delete
  2. So were these points based armies of equal value? It seemed like the Assyrians had a significantly stronger force, with all those chariots on your left? All looks very attractive, needless to say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Keith they were!! When i look over the pics, it does seem that he has a lot more...but we had the same number of points. He just massed his- Chariots on one flank, Guard, then archers then cavalry. Mine were all over the place.

      Delete
  3. Only because he played with the lists :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing your armies out for battle. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great pleasure to watch this kind of battle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does this mean another rematch??

    ReplyDelete