On the painting bench....WSS.

 I recently went back to adding to my favourite collection- my Age of Louis XIV or Marlburian. I hadn't painted any figures for quite a while- so many others to do!!  A few years in fact so in November I ordered some figures from Front Rank. I decided on Imperial Troops ( Hapsburg Austrians) as I only have two battalions and decided to add two more.


I painted the Daun Regiment and then the Osnabruck Regiment.

I find myself just adding units- even if they didn't serve in any of the theatres that I am gaming.


On the blocks waiting for undercoating

Regt Osnabruck.

Also known as the Lorraine Lifeguard......green uniforms with red cuffs etc.....A Walloon Regiment .....but could double up as Russian GNW if needed !! Just need a flag change!

Just needs to be flocked.
This regiment spent 1701-1705 on the Rhine. From late 1705 to 1708 in Italy and from late 1708 until 1712 in Spain. By that stage it had the pearl grey/white uniforms like the rest of the Imperial Austrian troops. 

Regt Daun. 

Regt Daun ( Guttenstein from 1706)
During the WSS it was in Italy in 1701-2 and Bavaria in 1703.
In 1704 one battalion was in Prague, one battalion was in Italy.
The rest of the regiment served in Bavaria and Germany on the Rhine for the remainder of the war.



My last post for the year! To all of you who have read anything of the waffle I've posted this year- a big "Thank You" and an even bigger one if you have left any comments! They are much appreciated.

A Happy and Good Die Rolling 2024!!




20 comments:

  1. Two great looking regiments added to the collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil...and the collection keeps growing.

      Delete
  2. Superb brushwork, John! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan- you too. All the best for 2024.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done. Best Wishes for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal. One day my painting my come close to yours!

      Delete
  5. They look great John...Front Rank are still one of my favorite figure ranges! Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith- yes FR are my favourite range. All the best for 2024.

      Delete
  6. All your figures look great, painting units for the pleasure of painting is the mark of a true wargaming addict.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil- yes, just one of the many tell-tale signs!

      Delete
  7. John, this was already a great collection that is boosted by these two new units. Hope the time with family has been great and the new year good to you.
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rich. All the best for the New Year- see you soon.

      Delete
  8. Looking great John. I’ve still got those loudly Dutch War of the Spanish Succession figures I bought of your mate in your gaming room over twenty years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlo- Ross' Dutch. Some of my greatest defeats were at hands of that army! And you bought my first WSS army ( mainly Redcoats)- all Foundry figures. That was a long time ago!!

      Delete
    2. Let me know if you’re interested in buying them back as I continue my rationalisation mate. Great looking troops.

      Delete
    3. Tempting Carlo! - But i definitely have enough! I will ask the Brothers!

      Delete
    4. Beautifully painted figures again, john!

      Delete
    5. Thanks Dean! I appreciate your comments!

      Delete